Planning a wedding is difficult. You want everything to run smoothly so you want to hire the best vendors, people you can count on to get the job done and preferably, without a hitch. Hiring a makeup artist is part of the planning process, for some, but how do you hire the right makeup artist for your wedding? Following are tips for hiring the right makeup artist for your wedding day:
1. Where to start–Where do I find a good makeup artist? As I researched this article, I realized this was a starting point for most people. Where should I go to find a makeup artist? I found a few directories, which has a list of makeup artists in the U.S. including makeup artist directory and makeup professional. I found a few others, but not with extensive lists. There are salons that offer makeup applications, check local beauty salons and spas for good makeup artists. If you don’t want to spend as much, research local beauty schools who may offer makeup applications at a lower rate.
2. The Portfolio–The Internet has made it easier to check out people’s work so you can look at the artist’s portfolio before you even decide to meet with a particular makeup artist. Make sure you like their style of makeup application and specifically ask for wedding pictures if they don’t have them on the website.
3. The Appointment–Meet with the makeup artist. Make sure the personality and style fit with your personality and style. Ask yourself these questions:
- Is she/he easy to work with?
- Was he/she punctual?
- Is he/she organized?
- Are the instruments clean?
- Is it the right price range?
- Do I feel comfortable with him/her?
4. Communication–Communicate well what you want and expect from them as far as makeup and on your wedding day overall. It’s helpful to make a list of items such as colors you would like, and possibly even take photographs to show him/her the look you are trying to achieve.
5. The Contract–Make sure you understand the contract and all fees before signing anything so there will be no misunderstandings. Usually there are hourly rates and/or packages available for brides.
Following these simple tips will ensure your process with your makeup artist will run smoothly on that very special wedding day. For other wedding makeup application tips check out our article 10 Dos and Don’ts for Wedding Day Makeup.